Sunday, January 7, 2018

Week 1: Starting the new year


Hello all, and welcome to my new year’s resolution!

This year, I am aiming for the normal changes in life (lose some weight, eat healthy, yada yada yada), But I’m also trying to continue to make art, and making the time to do so. As I go into student teaching, I worry that I will no longer be able to find the time to make my own art, and I don’t want that to happen. So, my resolution is to make a good art piece at least once a week.

I am starting off the year with a painting for Steve’s cousin, Felicia. She is a wonderful florist, and we wanted to give her something for Christmas that expressed her passion for her job. I decided to paint one of her favorite arrangements (with a few tweaks). I feel bad that it wasn’t done before Christmas, but anyone who has worked with oil paint knows that the paint dries depending on the temperature and air flow, and our apartment was unforgiving. I also experimented with using my fingers to paint. I have seen works done by Iris Scott, who uses finger painting to create amazing works of art. It worked well in some places, but I had to give in and use a brush eventually. Hopefully I can get better at it.

I will also be doing one lesson plan a week and sharing it here. I only thought of the idea a day ago though, so I don’t have one this week (sorry).

I am also considering reviewing different art products, apps, and other art related things on a vlog/YouTube platform. As a future art teacher, I see many different and unique tools available to use in the art room, and I think about the practicality of the medium in the classroom. I would like to test these unique products for myself, and rate their usefulness both in everyday use and as a teacher thinking about my classroom.

Apps are also a new technology that is starting to make its way into the classroom. I would like to review different apps, both for the classroom and for outside the classroom. I hope that through this process I start to develop my own app or program for anyone who would like to make or learn more about art.  I am hoping to make this a educational, yet fun app that helps everyone, without asking people to spends ridiculous amounts of money on materials.

I would also like to discuss art related topics. People working hard in the art education field, informational videos about artists, and many other topics! I would like for this to be an educational platform. If anyone has any ideas for videos, please let me know!

Well, thank you all for listening, and I will see you next week!

Sincerely,

O

No comments:

Post a Comment